Our First Half!

Our First Half!

Monday, March 21, 2011

WE DID IT!!!!


Well readers, thank you so much for following this blog to track our journey towards completing our first half marathon!  We have officially completed the half and did so with smiles on our faces.  I will tell you about my journey and then Pita can get on here and post about hers! 


some shamrockers getting ready to race!
I was originally planning to run the race like this: divide it into thirds and run the first third with my head, the second third with my personality, and the final third with my heart.  Well, it didn't really work out that way... 



I started the race more excited than I could have ever dreamed I would be.  I was jumping up and down, counting down with the starting line guy...10...9...8...7...etc.  And when he said "GO!", I have never been so thrilled!  I started off at a pretty good pace, not too fast or slow.  I was smiling and waving at all of the people cheering us on and it actually hit me... "I am running a half marathon! The day is finally here and I am actually doing this."  Truth be told, I actually starting tearing up at this point...I was just so overwhelmed that I was accomplishing a goal that I had set for my self so many months before.  Here's another truth: about 9 months ago, the furthest I could run was about a mile and I could only do it in over 10 minutes and had to slow down to walk immediately afterwards...now I was running 13.1 miles and feeling exhilarated!!!  I was smiling and running and waving and saying thank you to everyone I passed. Our bibs had our names printed on them, and it was so amazing to hear people say "good job Carolyn!" talking to me...ME! I was doing a good job?! wow...it was so incredible to have all of that support.  So, there you have it...I ran the first third with my personality.


The next third was a bit tougher...miles 5-8 were pretty tough mentally, not as much physically.  This part I ran with my head.  I knew I had to keep a decent pace if I wanted to be close to my goal of finishing in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.  I just kept on trucking!  There were a couple of DJs along the way...the first one playing Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA" was amazing...I felt like this was MY half marathon and the DJ knew that Miley was my jam!  I just kept on pushing and told myself that if I didn't walk at all then I would be able to say I ran the entire half marathon without walking.  So that's what I did...the only points when I stopped to walk were the brief moments where I got water at the water station...and that's because I'm super clumsy and would have spilled it all over my face otherwise!


The last part I definitely ran with my heart...as planned.  Once I reached mile 9, I knew I was close.  I was so pumped up I was trying to push others around me to get excited too! We were almost there...so close!  I could feel the excitement welling up inside of my chest!  I knew that Matt and my dad were waiting for me at the finish line and I was so excited to have the two of them with me to accomplish this goal.  I was so proud of Arpita for going so fast and I knew she was up there doing great.  I loved having her as a running partner, but in the end, I think it's best we ran our own races...she finished with an incredible time, and I ran the race knowing that I was accomplishing something for myself and that I could do it...the girl who could barely run a mile 9 months ago was finishing 13.1 today.  
Yuengling sandcastle at the end!
As I neared the finish line, I felt the tears coming up again.  When I crossed it, the feeling overwhelmed me and I simply burst into tears...I cannot even attempt to explain the happiness I felt.  It was such a feeling I can't even describe it properly!  You will just have to try it.  To anyone who has doubts about their ability to complete something like this...I just have to say: you CAN do this!  Anything is achievable when you want it enough and are willing to work to get it.  

I was so inspired on Sunday, I am now seriously contemplating running the full marathon at Disney in 2012.  The other runners were such an inspiration and I hope that I served as an inspiration to some of them as well, and to you all who read this blog.  I had one person behind me at the race shout out what was on the back of my shirt to inspire their teammates: "Pain is weakness leaving the body."  I told her that I took the saying from the Marine Corps because it inspired me, and she said she was going to use it next year.  I have a new quote for all of you now, though, and I'm sure you will understand why it is special to me:  "Pain is temporary.  Pride is forever."


I am so proud of my accomplishment and proud of myself for sticking to my plan, sticking to my goals, and completing one of the biggest challenges of my life.  Thank you all so much for all of your support and for following this blog.  And who knows, maybe stay tuned for the next step: Running Towards our First Full Marathon! 
 


Love you all, xoxo Lynn

4 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how proud I am of you, Lynn! You set such a huge goal for yourself and YOU accomplished it. I know exactly what you mean when you describe the overwhelming emotions you got crossing the finish line. The same thing happened to me when I ran my first 10 miler last year! I am so thrilled and happy for you!! Can't wait to follow you in your training toward the full! WAY TO GO LYNNIE!! I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally rocked this Lynn!! Congratulations on your first half marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so well, with excitement and emotion--obviously you will always remember this one, your first half marathon (the longest distance you've ever run, plus your first PR!). There are more races in your future, so there's no turning back now--but this one puts an exclamation point on "I am a runner!"

    ReplyDelete