Our First Half!

Our First Half!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Will you get back up?

Well, as many of you may know, I have been struggling with some health stuff lately.  I saw a slew of doctors, each suspecting a different issue creating my problem.  I underwent countless blood tests and examinations, a CT scan and an ultrasound.  I was scheduled to meet with a surgeon for removal of an abscess and then later came to be relieved that the pain I was experiencing was coming from a plum-sized cyst that was hemorrhaging, which will probably not require surgery.  


While I was physically wiped out and exhausted, I struggled through emotional pain as well.  I don't like being sick but I mostly don't like not knowing WHAT is wrong, and what is causing so much pain.  During this time I wished that Dr. House was a real person and that he could come and magically tell me within 45 minutes what was wrong.  I was living on my couch, both because I was physically uncomfortable and because the emotional stress of dealing with this and not being able to continue with my training as planned made me feel as if the world I used to know was suddenly very different.  


After getting the (relatively) good news that it was just a cyst (painful as it may be), my world started looking bright again.  The doctor said I could resume physical exercise as long as I felt comfortable and didn't push myself too hard.  So I started looking up some inspiration online for getting back on track.  I just felt like such a mess...the apartment was dirty, laundry was piling up, I had work to do for classes and I hadn't exercised in over a week.  I found lots of inspiration and the next thing I knew I had a clean kitchen (like the cleanest it's been since I moved in).  Then I moved on to the living and dining room and tidied my life back up.  Then that night (last night) I hit the gym for the first time.  I didn't do much (just some chest presses and a little back work and walked for 2 miles) but I felt invigorated just by being back there and NOT being on the couch.  Here are some of the inspirations I found...hopefully, if you are feeling lazy or bad about yourself because you have fallen into a workout slump, these will help you as they helped me.  I am happy to report that I plan on doing another light walk today and get back on the official training plan as I feel comfortable.  Thank you to all of my friends who have supported me...I can't wait to make you proud after I finish this race!


"Think of yourself as a toy train. All toy trains de-rail now and then. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on track."


"Rather than viewing a brief relapse back to inactivity as a failure, treat it as a challenge and try to get back on track as soon as possible."--Jimmy Connors (American Tennis Player)


"Rest when you're weary.  Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit.  Then get back to work"--Ralph Marston



And my favorite:  Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

3 comments:

  1. So Proud of you! Way to get back up - that is always difficult for me. Way to be motivated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling better and are back to your training. Remember that life never throws you more than you can handle. You are so strong for having gone through this health scare and even stronger for jumping back into your training full-speed. Just remember to listen to your body, rest and take the time off as needed. YOU are an inspiration, Lynn! :)

    ReplyDelete