Our First Half!

Our First Half!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New PR (Personal Record--yep I'm learning the lingo)

Hello bloggers and followers! Today was great...I had to do 30 min. cross today as part of my week 1 training. I was planning to just kind of take it easy and just do 3o minutes relaxed pace on the bike (truthfully, it was because I was feeling super lazy). I started out going pretty slow until Matt told me "start over" and said that I needed to break 10K in 20 minutes. I thought OK sure... last time I tried to do that I ended up doing about 5.65 miles in 20 minutes so I didn't really think I would make it. But about half-way through, I realized I actually MIGHT be able to do this...so I started pushing. Then, kind of half joking (ok seriously I was like 95% joking) I told him I wanted to do 10 miles in 30 minutes. Once I hit the 10K in 19:33, I realized this actually might be a possibility, so I decided to go for it. It was hard and I definitely felt the burn but it was so worth it just to set a PR! Happy with my training so far! :) I have also been looking into the Walt Disney World Marathon (YES the full and YES I might be a little bit crazy?!) Anyway, Arpita is the one who suggested I look into it and all it took was watching the video on the website to make me want to partake in the 2012 race. Matt watched the video with me last night and now he is wanting to go in on it too. The video is on the homepage: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/. I'm ALSO hoping that my friend Molly and her BF will join us as well (although she is MUCH more legit than me...she has already completed a half-marathon)...she's also the one that got me onto the DailyMile! Tomorrow is the long run for week 1 (4 miles)...Update you all tomorrow after that!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lynn thanks for your comment and tip on the Daily Mile- I think I'll be joining very soon:-). We had a tiny family "legal" wedding in 2010 with the plan to have a big one for family and friends after I graduate. Now I just have to find time to plan it :-). Good luck with your half training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. speaking of lingo... could you explain to me "recovery run?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jo...I'm not *exactly* sure what it is because it is not in my training plan but here's what I know about them. They are relatively short/slower runs to what you have been doing. So if you ran a 10K, then the next day you can do a slower 2 mile run for example. There are articles discussing the reasons for doing this and the benefits. Here are a couple articles that I found helpful:

    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/A_fresh_perspective_on_recovery_runs.htm
    --Explains the benefits of the recovery run and tips for doing them right
    And

    http://running.competitor.com/2010/07/training/workout-of-the-week-recovery-run_11839
    --includes a guide for doing recovery runs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie--when you join DailyMile, be sure to add me so we can be each other's motivators! Good luck planning the wedding...I'm sure that will be so fun (and time consuming haha) :-) congratulations on getting married though!!!

    ReplyDelete